Mrs Reid, an English teacher at Oldfield has produced the following Powerpoint and worksheet to help you when you research words in the dictionary.
What do you need to remember when looking for a translation?
- A bilingual dictionary has 2 parts
- the 1st part i for French to English words
- the 2nd part is for English to French words
- It is also worth looking at the front of the dictionary, this where you will find a list of abbreviations as well as phonetic symbols.
- Dictionary are not "stupid".
-If you cannot find a word, you may have mispelt it or it could be that you are looking at a verb so you will need to put it in the Infinitive form.
- Check that your word did not have a capital letter as you may looking for somebody's name r a place (town- country etc)
Now look at the Powerpoint and attempt the worksheet.
Here is the worksheet:
Utiliser un dictionnaire -